If you suffer from chronic pain, you may be taking certain medications to help relieve your symptoms. Unfortunately, many prescription and over the counter medications have side effects. From aspirin to prescription painkillers like opioids, here is a list of pain medications and their common side effects.
- NSAIDs – Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen, can cause problems that range from simple indigestion to stomach ulcers. Taking too many NSAIDs may cause kidney damage, while long term use may cause a heart attack or stroke.
- Acetaminophen – If you take too much acetaminophen or drink alcohol while taking it, it can cause damage to your liver.
- Muscle relaxants – Although drowsiness is the main side effect of muscle relaxants, it can also cause dry mouth, constipation, confusion, loss of balance, and discolored urine.
- Antidepressants – Typically used to treat anxiety and depression, this class of medication can be used for pain relief. Antidepressants are known to have numerous side effects such as heart palpitations, weight gain, dry mouth, headaches, insomnia, and nervousness, among others.
- Corticosteroids – Long-term use can result in high blood pressure, elevated blood sugar, mood changes, gastrointestinal bleeding, and more.
- Opioids – Prescribed for intense pain, opioids can cause drowsiness, dizziness, and respiratory depression. Opioid use may also lead to addiction and dependence. Other possible side effects include euphoria, lowered blood pressure and heart rate, sexual dysfunction, and urinary retention, among others.
You can avoid the long list of side effects by choosing to treat your pain naturally. Milkweed Balm is made with Omega 7 fatty acids, anti-inflammatory agents, and antioxidants to soothe muscles topically. Just massage at the site of pain and reapply when needed. Milkweed Balm is the better choice for pain management.