Stay Pain Free During The Holiday
It’s the most wonderful time of year, yet it can also be the most stressful. Decorating, shopping, cooking, parties, and traveling can take its toll on even the healthiest among us. In order to stay pain-free this holiday season and enjoy time with family and friends, it’s important to put your health first and listen to your body.
1. Manage stress. Find some quiet time everyday to meditate or sit quietly. Bring some calm into your life by incorporating activities that you enjoy such as reading, painting, or sewing.
2. Shop smart. If you are heading out to the mall, avoid peak hours. Take breaks every 30 minutes, wear comfortable shoes, and enlist the help of a friend or family member to help you carry heavy bags. Even better, order online from the comfort of your home!
3. Eat healthy. Even though there will be plenty of extra goodies around, indulge in moderation. When you are not out celebrating, stick to a balanced diet and be mindful of portions.
4. Exercise. Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise daily. If weather permits, take a walk outside to increase your heart rate and ease your mental load. Walking around a shopping mall counts, too!
5. Get enough rest. When your days are long and busy, don’t fight the urge to rest when needed. Close your eyes and kick up your feet during the day, when possible. More importantly, aim to get at least eight hours of sleep each night.
6. Say “No” if your schedule is too full. You may be feeling the pressure to attend every gathering you’re invited to in the month of December; don’t aim to please everyone. Your family and friends will understand if you need to pass on the festivities to protect your health.
As part of your pain-free holiday plan, apply Milkweed Balm to your sore muscles. After a long day of shopping or before bed each night, allow Milkweed to relieve your symptoms so you can tackle a new day.